Friday, September 9, 2011

How I got my kids to eat ALL their veggies: Chicken Casserole

My kids are polar opposites when it comes to food likes and dislikes. Ethan is more like Dad- a meat and potatoes boy that likes salty snacks, while Caleb is more like Mom- we love our veggies and our sweets, especially chocolate! I always make the same dinner for the entire family, but that doesn't always mean we all eat the same. The kids will choose what to eat from their plates, but Ethan will always have more veggies left and Caleb will always have more meat left. It's a give and take, but they eat so I'm a happy Mamma. I recently discovered a meal that the entire family devoured! Both boys ate their entire bowl and my husband went back for seconds, I think he would've finished the dish off and had thirds, but he wanted some leftovers for lunch the next day. 


Here's how I got my kids to eat Broccoli, Water Chestnuts, AND Mushrooms ALL at one meal: 



Chicken, Mushroom, Broccoli, and Rice Casserole 



Recipe Adapted From The Girl Who Ate Everything
Olive Oil Cooking Spray
1/2 onion
1 lb mushrooms quartered
1 (4 ounce) box of Long Grain & Wild Rice, prepared per instructions
1 lb package of chicken breast tenders, cut up into bite size pieces 
1 6-8 oz can of sliced water chestnuts, diced (optional, John liked them but I didn't)
steamer bag of broccoli
1 10 3/4 oz can of Cream of Mushroom soup
1 10 3/4 oz can of Cream of Celery soup
1/4 cup Kraft Mayo with Olive Oil
Salt and pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare rice and broccoli per instructions on packages. I used my Pampered Chef Rice Cooker to cook my rice in 5 mins! Spray your pan with a little Olive Oil cooking spray and cook chicken, onion and mushrooms, add Cream of Mushroom, Cream of Celery and Mayo. In a large casserole baking dish, combine all ingredients and mix well. Bake uncovered for 30 minutes. Let cool for a few minutes prior to serving. Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment